Analysis – Florida Traffic Safety Trends (2022)Get a Free Consultation
Analysis of 2018-2022 Florida Traffic Safety Data
The total number of fatal crashes on Florida roads has increased significantly since 2018.
To spread awareness of these concerning trends in Florida road safety, Vanguard Attorneys, a personal injury law firm in Tampa, has compiled five years of crash data from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV).
This study aims to provide insights into the rising occurrence of crash fatalities in the state of Florida and to analyze the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on traffic safety.
The results of this analysis provide a foundation for informed discussions and data-driven safety initiatives.
- Witnessed a gradual decrease from 2018 to 2020, potentially influenced by improved safety measures or economic fluctuations. While the COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted driving behavior during this period, with lockdowns and restrictions leading to a decrease in overall travel, the analysis recognizes that multiple factors contribute to these trends.
- Experienced a slight increase in 2021, followed by a marginal decrease in 2022, indicating a potential stabilization of crash rates post-pandemic. The resurgence in crashes in 2021 may be attributed to increased travel as restrictions eased, but the subsequent decrease could signify a shift in driving behavior or ongoing effects of various factors.
Increase in Fatalities
Florida has seen an overall increase in fatal crashes from 2018 to 2022, with a peak in 2021. There were 3,137 fatalities in 2018, 3,744 fatalities in 2021, and 3,549 fatalities in 2022.
This trend necessitates a closer examination of contributing factors and a targeted approach to reduce fatalities.
- Maintained a consistent number of injury crashes over the years, with a slight decrease in 2020. The pandemic’s influence on driving behavior and reduced traffic during lockdowns could explain the temporary decrease in injuries, but the analysis recognizes the multi-faceted nature of these trends.
Crashes By Vehicle
A notable increase in bicycle crashes and fatalities over the years, potentially affected by the surge in outdoor activities during the pandemic. Increased cycling may have led to more interactions with motor vehicles. This data highlights the need for enhanced bicycle safety measures.
A consistent number of motorcycle crashes with a slight decrease in fatalities in 2022, suggesting potential positive impacts from safety initiatives.
Experienced an increase in crashes and fatalities. The shift in pedestrian behavior during the pandemic, with more people walking for exercise or to avoid public transportation, could contribute to the rise in incidents, with the analysis recognizing the interplay of various factors. This increase in pedestrian deaths indicates the importance of targeted pedestrian safety programs.
- A consistent and concerning number of hit-and-run incidents, with a peak in 2021. The associated fatalities and injuries underline the urgency of addressing this issue to ensure accountability and safety on the roads.
Factors Potentially Contributing to Increased Fatalities
Several factors may contribute to the upward trend in fatal crashes:
- Distracted Driving: The surge in available apps and content on cell phones may lead to increased distracted driving incidents, posing a threat to road safety.
- Population Growth: Florida’s increasing population may contribute to heightened traffic, potentially leading to more accidents and fatalities.
- Economic Factors: Economic fluctuations might impact driving patterns, potentially influencing the number of crashes and fatalities.
Recommendations for Improvement
Fatal Crash Prevention:
Implement targeted measures to address the potential factors contributing to the increasing trend in fatal crashes.
Mode-Specific Safety Initiatives:
Develop and enhance safety initiatives tailored to vulnerable road users, particularly cyclists and pedestrians.
Strengthen law enforcement efforts and implement public awareness campaigns to reduce hit-and-run incidents, which contribute significantly to overall fatalities and injuries.
Vanguard Attorneys remains committed to advocating for the rights and safety of individuals in Florida and will continue to contribute to initiatives that promote a secure and resilient road environment.